Tuesday, 14 October 2014

Outlander Knitwear - free pattern links

If you're not already watching Outlander , Starz's original series based on the novels by Diana Gabaldon , then boy howdy are you missing out.
 
 My brother and his family moved to Glasgow over a year ago and while I was saddened that he had moved away from here, I was secretly pleased as to where he had gone. Glasgow you see is placed at the foot of the Highlands, one of my most favourite places in the world. His property overlooks the Trossachs and Loch Lomond, which while beautiful, only hints at the delights of what is beyond.

We decided on a large family holiday this year and the Isle of Harris was picked as possibly the most beautiful place on earth. It didn't disappoint. Our accommodation was superb and the journey there a small adventure as we drove through Fort William then onto Skye (my daughters namesake) and finally, the ferry ride to Harris. To fill our days we walked the beaches, visited local tweed mills and walked the many desolate wild mountains unique to the Isle, by night we cooked our cod, grayling and mackerel caught from fishing just outside the cottage, drank single malt by the log burning fire and gazed at the stars (there is no light pollution here and the nights are the blackest of black - when your eyes do grow accustomed to the dark you start to see the whole of the constellation as never before, tiny pin pricks of brilliant light carpeting the sky).

The place was truly  magical and it even had a stone circle. Local tourist information informed me that this place had been used in a film set and hundreds of fans would flock from America to visit this special site. This place was Callanish, Isle of Lewis but was better known as Craigh na Dun from Diana Gabaldon novel Cross Stitch. Always fascinated by Highland stories I looked it up on the internet and found that this book has a huge following and is one of a series of novels. I also discovered that the filming had finished and the film was in fact a TV series called Outlander. Why it isn't available here is beyond me but through some searching online I found and watched all 8 episodes so far. It really is well filmed some great directing/acting, but with also two other surprising characters Scotland and knitwear, which brings me on to the point of this post. Scotland has been captured on film beautifully and is just as how I remember the Highlands, but the knit wear is equally as breath taking.

In fact I was so caught up with these items that I had a look online to see if anyone else had thought the same. I was looking more for ideas on creating my own patterns as the design are straightforward but instead found that some had already been written. I really wasn't disappointed, there is a wealth of articles and information, so I have collected the best FREE patterns and posted here for any knitwear fans wanting to have their own shrug, shawl, cowl or wrist warmers like Claires if you are a fan and if not maybe you can appreciate its simplistic beauty.
 

This pattern is available as a free Raverly download called When in Scotland Shawl




This beautiful chunky infinity cowl really caught my eye and is my favourite. I found this pattern here Outlander Cowl using a Debbie Bliss yarn. Another is here and think these are the best on the many that are on offer through the internet. This pattern adds a twist of ribbing, giving even more texture to the infinity cowl... beautiful x



Although not the same It is a lovely simple knit http://classiceliteyarns.com/WebLetter/152/Issue152.php












































This one is worth a mention as it is so straightforward. Basically you are looking to make a rectangle knitted in garter stitch, with both corners sewn together. Simple but if works well. This is also do-able as a crochet stitch too.

 
Little Cotton Rabbit's wristwarmers
 
These wrist warmers work lovely with the shawls don't they. I found this pattern from little cotton rabbits here. which would work just the same depending on the yarn you use. I would recommend using a 4 ply to achieve a similar effect. Also another free link to Raverly here for equally as lovely. Those of you who are ok with cables this pattern would certainly look the part. I personally am going to go for these long woolly slit wrist warmers, just the ticket for this coming winter, can't wait to hook them.

The costume department for this production have a blog here It makes for fascinating read and gives an in depth insight into how research/design and production work in film. I want her job!

My other favourite Etsy sellers who stock beautiful inspired hand knitted capes are here:

Inner wild

Tiny Owl Knits

Nomadic Knits

Link to 18th Century knitting patterns

 I hope you have found this useful and enjoy knitting your shawls.
Would love to see how you get on.
xXx

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...